Round three of our Summertime Grilled Cocktails Series is a fruity Grilled Sangria and has been prepared by Chef Chris Koetke for SABER®Infrared Grills.
The hot, humid summer months are where sangria really shines. It’s almost impossible to find something that doesn’t pair well with this party drink, but I like to grill up a batch and serve it with a big tray of assorted grilled meats, sausages, seafood and vegetables. What you serve doesn’t matter as much as the fact that you keep the sangria flowing!
- 1 apple, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (keep skin on)
- 4 plums, nectarines, or peaches (or a combo of all!), pits removed and halved or quartered
- 1 seedless orange, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 bottle fruity, but dry red wine (Tip: Choose a Spanish varietal like Garnacha or Tempranillo or a California Zinfandel)
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup club soda
- On a very hot, preheated grill, grill the different fruits on all sides until they have nice, dark brown grill marks. It is essential that the grill be very hot to achieve proper caramelization.
- Remove from grill and let cool.
- In a pitcher, mix together wine, brandy, Grand Marnier, sugar, pomegranate juice and orange juice.
- Cut all the fruit into about ¼-inch cubes (be sure to remove the orange rind first from the orange slices).
- Add the fruit to the pitcher and refrigerate for several hours to let the flavors infuse.
- Just before serving, add the club soda and enjoy!