Peaches and mangoes are among the best fruits to grill in the summer. Smoke and char complement the natural sweetness of these beauties, and their dense fruit holds up well to a hot grill. The side burner of the grill can be used to make the caramel, but it can also be made up to a week in advance to make assembling the parfaits a little easier. Bring it to room temperature before serving. Whipped cream can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge a day ahead. Squeezing fresh lime juice over the peaches and mangoes right after grilling helps to temper the sweetness of the fruit, cake and caramel in this sweet dessert. Setting out the fruit, pound cake and toppings in a “make your own parfait” bar will delight kids and adults alike.
Active time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Serving Size: 4
- SPICY LIME CARAMEL
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into 3 pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 peaches, halved with pit removed
- 2 mangoes, sliced into 2 pieces, avoiding pit; scored in a crosshatch pattern, avoid through skin
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 1 store-bought pound/loaf cake, sliced into ¾ inch slices
- ¾ cup heavy cream, whipped to loose peaks using a hand or stand mixer
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, heat the water and sugar to medium heat, stirring constantly to help the sugar dissolve. Once the mixture starts to bubble, stop stirring completely.
- Increase to high heat and bring to a boil until the mixture turns an amber color. Swirl the pan if needed, but do not stir.
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cream. The mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Mix in butter, lime zest, cayenne and salt one at a time.
- Pour caramel sauce into a dish or container and allow to cool. Caramel can be stored in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Preheat 2-3 burners to low.
- Place peaches and mangoes, cut side down, on the grill for 4-5 minutes. Rotate a quarter turn midway through to achieve crosshatch grill marks. Flip and grill for 4-5 minutes more and remove to dish. Squeeze lime wedges over fruit immediately.
- Place pound cake slices on grill for 1 minute per side and remove to a plate or platter.
- Slice grilled peaches and mangoes into chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Place pound cake slices into parfait glasses and top with grilled fruit, caramel sauce and whipped cream, squeezing more lime if desired.