“I do not like them, Sam I am. I do not like green eggs and ham…I would not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I am”
“You do not like them so you say.. Try them. Try them and you may. Try them and you may, I say.”
“Sam, if you will let me be. I will try them, and you will see…I like green eggs and ham. I do. I like them Sam I am.”
Green eggs may not sound so appetizing, but once you try these grilled green eggs with ham and roasted potatoes, you’ll find your mind changed for the better. They make a hearty breakfast to get the day started right, and they taste great!
There are different methods for cooking green eggs. Some add green food coloring for a solid green egg. We prefer adding spinach for a hint of green and a lot of flavor. We’ve also seen eggs with chopped asparagus for an interesting twist on green eggs.
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, colby jack or a three-cheese assortment)
- Thick-cut ham slices
- 2 cups red potatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high. If using SABER griddle, add it to the grill.
- Chop onions, spinach and potatoes.
- Scramble eggs and mix in the spinach and about half of the onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss potatoes in a light coat of olive oil with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spray the griddle with cooking oil. Pour egg on to griddle. Cook to desired doneness. Before removing eggs from the heat, sprinkle with cheese. Let eggs sit until cheese is melted.
- On the griddle, roast potatoes until softened.
- On the grates, grill ham until seared - about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Instead of pouring entire egg mixture on the griddle, you can portion four omelets. OR instead of omelets you can scramble by gently stirring eggs on the griddle as they cook.
- Grill the eggs and potatoes at the same time. Use a skillet on the side burner to cook the eggs and roast the potatoes on the griddle, or use the griddle for the eggs and the SABER roasting pan for the potatoes.
- For a healthier green egg breakfast, use only the egg whites and swap shredded cheese for feta.